Sunday, June 1, 2014

Rough Week

 Last Friday, my doctor started me on a new medication, diamox, to help my headaches. It was the worse thing I could have done. I had so many side effects from it. It caused me to drink a lot more water, 15+ bottles of water a day. The medication is used as a diuretic, so along with the drinking all that water I was running to the bathroom, that caused me to get dehydrated. It also caused a lack of appetite, I was eating maybe 500 calories a day, it also caused me to throw up every day, and be nauseous all day long. This caused my energy to go away. I was actually taking naps and laying on the couch a lot, probably because I was up half the night going to the bathroom. It also caused my blood sugar to go way up, higher than it had ever been, in fact before I started taking this medication I hadn't taken any blood sugar meds in a month. I couldn't concentrate at all. At work my student was explaining his word problems to me because I was having issues figuring them out. The worst thing is that I couldn't even follow the SF Giants play, or even read a book. One thing that really killed me was when I first tasted a diet pepsi after taking the medication, it tasted like dirt. I found out later that day that it was any carbonated drink. Each day I was feeling worse.

 I started the diamox on Thursday, I gave it a week. The following Thursday I decided to stop taking it. I just couldn't take the side effects any longer. That night I told my son what I had decided to do, he told me if I wouldn't have said that, he was going to tell me that I should stop it. I think that is pretty bad when your son notices what a medication is doing to you. It has been 3 days since I have stopped taking it and I am still not back to my "normal" self, whatever it may be. I am hoping that by tomorrow I will be back at working out and feeling better.

  As far as my weight it is the same as it was the last time I checked in, I hope to get back on track.

No comments:

Post a Comment