Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Food and a Budget

 The doctor told me the other day (and most diets say) to give up breads and cereals. I don't mind giving up bread, that really wouldn't bother me, but giving up cereal would kill me. I love cereal probably more than chocolate. I don't keep chocolate in the house, but I do keep cereal, in fact I have probably 7 boxes of cereal in the kitchen right now. I can't just get rid of all of it, besides I have a teenage boy who likes it once in awhile. I think of it this way, 1 container of most yogurts have 100 calories and 19 carbs, 1 serving of cereal has 110 to 120 calories, dry, which is how I eat it most of the time. To me it taste better than the yogurt too. Granted once in awhile I have 2% milk with it and that puts my Honey Nut Cheerios at 150 calories a serving. Besides, I can buy yogurt for 2 to 3 for $1.00 but I can go to Grocery Outlet and get a box of cereal for $1.49 or less. The yogurt would be 3 servings but the cereal has 10 to 12 servings a box.

  I think one of my problems is that I have to manage a whole months of food on a very tight budget, most of the time $150 or less is what I have to spend. Then there is the fact that I have a kid who has to be on a high calorie diet to keep weigh on him. Naturally I buy all of his food first, then if there is money left I buy a few things for me. To all the people who say they can buy healthy food on a tight budget is lying! Of course doctors and dietitians do not understand this. Ok, rant over....for now

 Tonight I got in 25 minutes on the bike. Last night before bed, or rather while laying in bed, I did 50 crunches. I am surprised I have done this much lately since I feel like the walking dead. No sleep for 4 days straight now.

No comments:

Post a Comment