Wednesday, September 11, 2013

A Better Day

This new workout is kicking my butt. My knees, legs and upper arms are so sore. Like I said last night that must mean it's doing something. Now if it just shows it on the scale or measurements this week. Work was better today so I didn't have swollen feet.

For tonight's workout I changed things up somewhat. I didn't do the full 7 minutes but did 5 instead. The first exercise is jumping jacks, instead I ran in place. I think my bladder liked that better. Then was the wall sit, I found this a little harder tonight. It then calls for push ups, for me wall push ups do the same thing and easier for me to do. Instead of the chair step ups, I just did steps ups on the wii board. Then was the crunches, I think I have done so many of these it's like nothing doing 30 seconds of them. I just did more wall push ups instead of the chair dips. Next were planks, I didn't do so well on those. I did the squats, and lunges. I did more wall push ups because there is no way I am going to do the push up rotations.I tried the side planks that was a mistake. I fell almost on my face. I ended the workout after that.

Chiari facts tonight

What research is being done?


Within the Federal government, the National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke (NINDS), a component of the National Institutes of Health (NIH), supports and conducts research on brain and nervous system disorders, including Chiari malformations. The NINDS conducts research in its laboratories at the NIH, in Bethesda, Maryland, and supports research through grants to major medical research institutions across the country.
In one study, NINDS scientists are trying to better understand the genetic factors responsible for the malformation by examining individuals with CM who have a family member with either a CM or syringomyelia.
NINDS scientists are examining individuals who either have syringomyelia or are at risk of developing the disorder, including patients with Chiari I malformation. By recording more than 5 years of symptoms, muscle strength, general level of functioning, and MRI scan findings from individuals who receive standard treatment for syringomyelia, researchers can obtain more information about factors that influence its development, progression, and relief of symptoms. Study  results may allow scientists to provide more accurate recommendations to future patients with syringomyelia regarding optimal surgical or non-surgical treatment of their condition.
AN NIH study is reviewing an alternative surgical treatment for syringomyelia. By examining people with syringomyelia, in which there is an obstruction in CSF flow, NIH scientists hope to learn whether a surgical procedure that relieves the obstruction in CSF flow can correct the problem without having to cut into the spinal cord itself. The NIH’s Management of Myelomeningocele Study is comparing prenatal surgery to the conventional post-birth approach of closing the opening in the spine and back that is common to some forms of CM. The study will enroll 200 women whose fetuses have spina bifida and will compare the safety and efficacy of the different surgeries. Preliminary clinical evidence of intrauterine closure of the myelomeningocele suggests the procedure reduces the incidence of  shuntdependent hydrocephalus and restores the cerebellum and brain stem to more normal configuration. At 1 year and 2 ½ years after surgery the children will be tested for motor function, developmental progress, and bladder, kidney, and brain development.

No comments:

Post a Comment